Thursday, April 1, 2010

Have you a mum like mine?


People I know always say this to me - "I'm so jealous you have a mum like that, I just wish my mum could be more like yours."

I am 20 years old and still have a mum who wakes me up every morning like an alarm clock and serve me breakfast as early as 6.30am. As the clock hits 7.00am, I will be heading to school in my nicely ironed uniform, well polished leather shoes and fully stocked stomach.

When I'm home from school, lunch will always be on the kitchen table. Never have I in my life worry about what to eat for dinner either. As my mom is a good cook.

If I fall sick, she will stay the half-awake-night by my bedside and monitor me till tomorrow's sun raises.

Anything that comes across her head that is best for her little boy, she makes sure he will get it. The healthiest food, the warmest cloth, the best education, the best health care, the fullest protection and the unconditional love. She always managed them.

My mum just seems so perfect and she has always been my best gift from god.

She is my wingless angel.

But...

One thing.

I don't think she does it quite right.

Let me tell you one story which has never been told to anyone before...



Once upon a time, there lived a mother and a son. The mother loves the son, and the son loves the mother too. One day, the son came home running towards the mother. Hugged her. And started to cry at his full volume.

The mother was confused and asked, "What's the matter, boy?"

The Son said, "I was bullied."

The mother started to concern, "Who bullied you? How?"

The son reached his hand into his backpack and took out a piece of scrappy drawing paper to show the mother.

"They teased me. They said I can't draw and I can't paint. They said my drawing is ugly. I am angry. I feel sad, mommy." had that said, the son put his face against the mother chest and continue crying again.

"It's okay boy, mommy's here. All right. All right. Stop the tears." The mother stroke the son's head. Inside, she felt as sad.

Since then, the mother helped in every drawings the son had. The mother made sure the son's drawings were the best in his class and would be displayed in the school corridor.

As time passed, the son developed some kind of laziness and dependency on the mother for his drawings. From helping in the first place, the mother slowly took over the whole task. The drawings became the mother's homework. But the mother did that too for his innocent little boy who was 7 years old.

That makes the son's life even easier after that. The beautiful drawings were hung on the school corridor every week. Praises after praises from students and teachers. Sometimes, the teachers even get suspicious about the fantastically drawn pictures.

And then, the mother had to teach the son how to get over the teachers with lies.

The son grew up..

Finally at some point, the son had to draw by himself. Then, the son realized that he couldn't. He started to notice something was wrong. Due to certain reason, the mother wasn't able to draw for the son anymore. So, the son had to draw his own drawings.

The praises disappeared and the drawings by the son were no longer displayed at the school's corridor.

However, after some time. Drawings from the boy were seen on the corridor again. Surprisingly, the drawings were not from the mother. They were from the boy!! The boy was found to have some talents in drawing by his teacher.


- The End -


How do you find the mother in the story?

Very loving mother?

Undoubtedly, the mother in the story loves her son. But not in the right way. She is overprotective over her son so much so that she crossed the line.

If, the mother didn't take over the son's drawings in the first place.... If, the mother refuses to draw the son's drawings but to just assist and encourage by his side, the son would have discover his ability in drawing earlier. And the son wouldn't need to feel guilty for the lies and the fake praises from his teachers and friends, instead would enjoy real joy in art.

The mother loves wrong.

The mother has limited the son's growth by being overprotective.

The son grow less with his mother's love.

The mother loves the son. The son gets it. But this isn't really how the mother should love the son.

The little boy is me.

Mum, won't you understand that?

3 comments:

  1. have you ever tried to talk to your mom?



    Jern Wei

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you only just getting through phase 1 only... There more phases to go. If both are the same degree of insistence, there would be no ends meeting.

    ReplyDelete