Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Memoirs of a replacement teacher

Before I started teaching,

I used to believe that the job of a teacher is damn easy.

I used to expect the job of a teacher to be solely passing on knowledge.

I used to see teaching as second class job.

I used to think that the cane is never the best solution for kids' problems and I swore I won't use it if I'm the teacher.
I used to be angry and annoyed when teachers make me read a passage again and again.

I used to complain when a teacher give more than two homework in a day.

I used to have the dream that I'll be the loving teacher every student love and adore.

I used to.... a lot of things before I actually become a teacher.



After I have finished teaching. And...


Now that I understand, teacher is not as easy a job as I first thought it was.

Now that I discover, that a teacher doesn't just pass on knowledge but also have to shape what's inside of his students.

Now that I know that the cane is the only method to use on kids when all other softer methods have failed to prove their effectiveness.

Now that I realize, the teachers meant good when they asked me to read a passage over and over again.

Now that I see, all the homework will eventually end up on the teachers' tables.

Now that I come to know, the teachers have to do the homework too before marking them in order for them to point out what the students have done wrong.

Now that I realize, the thought of me being surrounded by students who love and adore me is really just a dream.

Now that I understand, students will still celebrate and cheer when you say you are leaving.

Now that I know, students won't appreciate me as much as how I appreciate them.

Now that I am a teacher.... I realize how lousy a teacher I have been.

2 comments: